D.I.Y Wool Dryer Yarn Balls

 photo 04_zps27a7142c.jpg

Have you ever wanted to stop using those toxic dryer sheets you find at the store? Full of chemicals that emit their scent through your vent and onto your clothes to then be placed upon your skin when you wear the clothes. YUCK!

I've come across the idea to make your own 100% Wool Dryer Balls to use instead of these dryer sheets. Not only will your skin be happier, but you will also save on your energy bill.

How? 

These wonderful balls bounce around in your dryer which allows your clothes to separate while tumbling. Since your clothes are moving more in your dryer, it doesn't need as much time to dry. Pretty awesome huh?

The best part is these wonderful balls last for years. 

So how do you make them? It's pretty easy..

Find yourself some 100% Wool Yarn at your local fabric store. I purchased 3 skeins. Each one made two balls.

 photo 02_zps0f392f75.jpg

You will take the end of your yarn and wrap it around three of your fingers about 20 times. Then you will slip it off your fingers and take the yarn and wrap it around the center 20 more times. Pinch the ends of the yarn together and just start wrapping. 

When you get the ball the size you want (I measured half the yarn out) then you will cut the end and tuck it within itself. I used a crochet hook.

 photo 01_zps09a71ccb.jpg

I did this six more times to make all the balls I'd use in my dryer.

Now it's time to stuff them into a pantyhose leg and wash it in hot water for a cycle. Then you'll place it in the dryer on hot for a cycle. This speeds up the felting process.

 photo 03_zpsc5b2f49c.jpg

Your ball will look similar to the one above. After each use the felting will be more noticeable. Over time the ball will get smaller as it continues to felt but keep in mind. These guys will last a VERY long time.. 

I've washed several loads and my clothes don't have anymore static cling and come out dryer, quicker.

I've added about 4 drops of lavender essential oil onto each ball and my clothes come out smelling so nice. This is a huge plus when you have a teenage boy in the house.. wink wink!

You can find the printable version of this D.I.Y project HERE

Comments

Popular Posts