I have found the most delicious and the easiest homemade fig bar recipe.. This recipe puts the store bought fig bars to shame and you will never want to eat those cardboard bars again...
I've tweaked this recipe a bit to make it my own... Hope you enjoy...
NOTE: I double this recipe and place into a 9 x 11 pan..
Homemade Fig Bars
1 1/2 sticks of cold butter, cut into pieces
2 cups plus 2 TBS all purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 TBS sugar
8 oz. dried figs (about 1 1/2 c) stems removed
3/4 c apple juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Butter 8 x 8 inch baking pan; line bottom and sides with parchment paper, leaving about 2 in overhanging. Butter paper
- In food processor, pulse 2c. flour, 1 c. sugar, then add butter. Pulse until resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer half into bottom of baking dish; with floured hands, press firmly into bottom
- Set aside
- Shape remaining mixture into large, moist clumps, transfer topping to a bowl, set aside
- Filling: In food processor, combine figs, apple juice, lemon zest and remaining 2 TBS each of flour and sugar. This should resemble a thick paste.
- Spread filling over crust evenly
- Sprinkle with the other half crumbled topping
- Back until topping is golden brown. 60-65 minutes
- Transfer to wire rack, let cool completely.
- Cut into 20 Bars..