Creamy Potato Leek Soup

For 2019 my husband and I want to focus on getting back to whole, unprocessed eating. With our youngest leaving for 6 months, it will just be the two of us.  With this in mind I have to learn to downsize my daily meals since I am no longer feeding 5 people but just two. 

Since its Winter up North it means soup season. I decided to make this delicious creamy potato leek soup. I have had this recipe for years so I can't locate the exact credit. I believe it came from Organic Valley since it has their products as suggestions.


Creamy Potato Leek Soup
(This makes a big batch that fills a pot)

Ingredients:
1 pound red potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 c. Chicken broth ( I used turkey broth)
1 leek (large)
1 c. sliced celery
1 c. washed and chopped swiss chard
2 TBS butter
2 c. sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp paprika
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:

  • In a saucepan combine the cubed red potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 min or until they are tender. Do not drain. Cool slightly.
  • Transfer potato mixture to blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside
  • Wash leeks and chard. Cut leeks into thin slices and chop swiss chard into fine pieces.
  • In a large saucepan, cook leeks, chard, and celery in butter for 4 min or until tender. Add sweet potato, and spices. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 min.
  • Stir in pureed potato mixture, milk and salt. 
  • Top with your favorite shredded cheese.




Comments

Popular Posts