1 1⁄2 cups unbleached unbromated flour (plus additional flour for kneading)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1⁄2 cup ground almonds
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon aluminum free baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 Organic Large Eggs
3⁄4 cup Organic or homemade Buttermilk
1 teaspoon organic almond extract
2 tablespoons Organic or homemade Butter, frozen (in one chunk)
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line one large or two medium baking sheets with parchment paper
2. Combine flours, ground almonds, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine them. In a second, smaller bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and almond extract until well combined.
3. Using the large holes on a hand-held grater, grate the frozen butter directly into the flour mixture, then stir to evenly distribute the butter. Now add the buttermilk mixture and stir until the two mixtures are barely combined.
4. Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead very briefly, just 4-6 turns of the dough. Cut the dough mass in half and gently, without overworking the dough, form each half into a disk that’s about 6 inches wide. Flour the blade of a large, sharp knife and cut each disk into 8 wedges; do not turn or twist the knife; cut straight down with a single stroke for each slice.
5. Transfer scones to the baking sheet(s), placing them about one inch apart. Gently press a whole almond into the center each scone. Bake 18-20 minutes.