Have you ever wanted to make your own butter but thought it was going to be to tedious. First thought is shaking it in a glass jar for a long time and getting exhausted thinking about it? Or thinking you need a butter churn! Well you don't. Here is a great recipe I found that is easy to make and all you need is a mixer, heavy cream and salt if you desire..
6 cups heavy cream
salt to taste
Yields about 1 lb of butter
- Place the heavy cream in the mixer and turn mixer on medium high speed.
- Let it mix and mix until you see the mixture separating. This should take you about 10 minutes.
- When the contents of your bowl starts to splatter a little, it’s a good sign that you’re done. This means that the buttermilk has separated out from the solids.
Strain the Buttermilk
- Set a mesh strainer over a bowl
- Pour the butter and buttermilk through the strainer
- Knead the butter to squeeze out any excess liquid
- Gather the butter into a ball and knead it
- When all the liquid is out of the butter, you’ll wind up with a ball
- Add salt, if you like
If you prefer salted to unsalted butter, knead in a little bit of kosher salt. I didn’t do this, but I’d use 1/2 tsp. – 1 tsp. Definitely start with less and taste as you go
- If you want to keep the buttermilk, place this into a sealed container and it will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
- Keep butter out of the fridge or it will go hard. Will keep in airtight container for 2 weeks.