Son's 13th Birthday! Doctor Who Anyone?

I had a blast planning and preparing for my son's 13th birthday. I wanted it extra special since you only turn a teenager once.. He loves watching the BBC show 'Doctor Who'. Well this is a British TV show so finding things here in America are well, null and void, so you have to be creative to make a party out of this.

The festivities started with inviting all of his friends to Cyberbytes. It's a local gaming place where you can play their video games per hour. I like it because we can reward my boys by going there on occasion and don't have to purchase the video game systems.

I made a Doctor Who Tardis invitation to send to all his friends.. I posted this on my Creative Cardmaking blog, so that's why it's tagged like that in the photo..

Photobucket

Then the fun begins. Making party favors for the guests. So what's going to go inside?? Yummy food of course. I don't like giving cheap toys to the guests so I thought food would be a great alternative.

Photobucket

I made a dalek brownie out of a cookie cutter that my husband shaped into a Dalek. It was originally shaped like santa holding his hand out!.. If you don't know what a dalek is, they are bad guys or should I say robots in the show.. "Exterminate"...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then came the Jammie Dodgers.. Cookies that the 11th Doctor loved.. These are two sugar cookies with the top cookie cut out in the middle with a small heart cookie cutter. The middle is filled w/ raspberry jelly and then stuck together!.. YUM!

Photobucket

Made some cute one eyed daleks to eat as well. I got this idea from online. I tweaked it though to fit what I had on hand for supplies. It's an oreo cookie base, then the ball is a chocolate chip muffin with the stump cut off. I then frosted the top of the oreo cookie to act as 'glue' to hold the muffin to the oreo. I then dipped the muffin (not the oreo cookie) into melted chocolate as well as a pretzel rod which will represent the arm and let it set. While it was setting I put the arm in and almonds on top and let it harden. The eye is a candy I found at Walmart in the cake decorating aisle.

Photobucket

Designed the gift bags to look like the tardis..

Photobucket

Photobucket

I made my son a Tardis bday card..

Photobucket

The inside had his favorite doctor..

Photobucket

I decided to make three cupcake daleks to go around the cake. I found a video online by the Tofu Guru that showed step by step how to make the cupcake daleks.. The cake is the tardis sitting on a planet..

Photobucket
One of the daleks...

The cake.... This is of my own invention in my head.. I really wanted it to stand up and not lie down like I saw examples of online. I am so happy it turned out the way I wanted it to!

Photobucket

This picture below did have my son's name written on it but I whited it out for this post.. This is with all 13 of his candles on it during the party!

Photobucket

I went a little crazy and made the cake on the inside to match the British flag colors. The tardis was blue..

Photobucket

And the planet was two layered. White and red..

Photobucket

The entire cake was supposed to be made of marshmallow fondant. I was successful in placing the fondant on the planet but it was just too heavy to drape over the tardis so I ended up having to frost that part..

This Happy 13th Bday was on the table...

Photobucket

I picked out star balloons since the Doctor travels in space.. They're 13 of them! Behind the balloons is the table with the cake and food since it was in the evening we had pizza, smokies, and chips..

Photobucket

Here's the birthday boy with his cake!

Photobucket

Blowing out the candles!

Photobucket

My friends and I after the party was over..

Photobucket

All the kiddos after the party was over..

Photobucket

My son had a blast playing video games with his friends for two full hours, then opening presents, & eating cake.. I just can't get over that my baby boy is 13 now!! WOW!!!

Comments

Popular Posts