Homemade Vanilla Extract

With eating unprocessed foods we have to pay close attention to our condiments. In particular, vanilla extract. If you look at the store brands you will find a variety of added junk in your extract. Something I'm not interested in eating. After pricing organic vanilla I realized I need to make my own.
 
I didn't realize how simple it really is. I went to a local health food store that sells vanilla beans but there was no way I could afford $6.99 for two beans when I wanted to make a big batch of it. (I use vanilla in a lot of my recipes)
 
So Plan B was formed. I went online to Amazon.com to do some research and found Madagascar Vanilla Beans for a really good deal plus was able to get a dozen bottles to put it in.
 
I'm not a drinker, especially with heavy liquor, so when I needed Vodka I had no idea where to purchase it. Found out here in MT you have to get it from a Liquor Store. Where is one of those? I did finally find one that didn't look shady and the person at the register was very helpful in locating the items I needed.. I didn't realize how many brands are out there.. WOW!

 photo DSCF0130_zps570ff995.jpg
 
To make a dozen 8 ounce bottles of vanilla extract you will need:
 
12- 8 ounce bottles
1 lb of vanilla beans (about 35-36 beans)
3 Liters of Vodka
 
 
Directions:
  • Split open the vanilla beans down one side. Do not cut the edges
  • Fold them with slits outward and place in bottle.
  • You will need 3 beans per bottle
  • Fill each bottle with Vodka leaving a little space in top for shaking
 
If you don't want to place them into individual bottles you can easily place 10-12 beans into the liter bottle of Vodka and do exactly as instructed above. When it's ready you  can just get it directly from the bottle or pour into bottles when ready. 


 photo DSCF0135_zpsb703f2ab.jpg
 
There you have it! It will take about 2-3 months before they are ready, shaking them a couple times a week. The great news is, you can re-use the same beans in the jar by topping the bottles off with Vodka as you use it. The beans are good for up to a year.. How awesome is that!!
 
I'm going to have some fun making labels for my bottles here soon.. I have time since they won't be ready until the New Year. Now I can't wait to taste this.. It already smells delicious and it's only been a day.. mmmmmm

Comments

Popular Posts