Venison Jerky

My husband received jerky seasoning for Christmas last yr but our deer was already in the freezer so we held off in making our own jerky. I almost forgot about it as we were butchering our last deer on the 11th but remembered as I was slicing up the yummy meat. I made strips out of the tender rump, about 5 lbs is all I could get myself to cut up. (It's time consuming and I butchered my deer 5 days earlier and wanted it just to be done)
 
 photo DSCF0107_zpsaaa94194.jpg
 
I was truly blessed when my neighbor/friend let me borrow her food dehydrator. I followed the directions on the seasoning packet.. "Hi-Country Jerky Seasoning" It said it could be cooked in the oven or dehydrator..
 
First, you let it marinade in the spices overnight in the fridge (well I forgot it was in there and found it two days later and quickly prepared it. No worries. Just an extra day marinading)
 
I got conflicting information regarding whether you can put raw meat directly in the food dehydrator so to error on the safe side, I pre-cooked it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes then set it out on the dehydrator.
 
I then set a timer for 5-6 hours later. I was able to start pulling the thinner pieces out at 5 hours and by 6 hours they were all done and so delicious!
 

 photo DSCF0108_zps4719de60.jpg
 
I'm now kicking myself for not having more patience in cutting up more meat because this will NOT last for long in our house.
 
I do have a recipe to make ground venison jerky since I have some spice still left but will need to get the jerky gun at the store to make it a reality.. Maybe a Christmas gift?? Will see....

Comments

Popular Posts